The recast of the EU RoHS Directive (RoHS 2) introduces specific obligations for importers and distributors. Both of these economic actors are expected to fulfill significant roles in ensuring that manufacturers have met their obligations and that only compliant product is sold in Europe.
Distributor obligations include:
- act with due care
- verify that EEE bears required manufacturer identification marks and contact info, CE mark and is accompanied by required documents (in a language easily understood by consumers and other end users)
- ensure that importer has provided necessary info
- if reason to believe that EEE is not in conformity, shall not place product on the EU market
- must inform manufacturer (or importer)
- must inform market surveillance authorities
- corrective action measures, withdrawal or recall as appropriate
- upon request, provide authorities with information and documentation to demonstrate product conformity and cooperate on any actions taken.
Importers and distributors will be the point of first enforcement in many circumstances and need to be prepared. These businesses may need assistance to ensure that the expectation of these obligations are met within their organizations.
ECD Compliance (ECD Technology Ltd.) has the skills and expertise to help your organization become compliant to the RoHS 2 obligations and other environmental requirements. Contact us to discuss how we can help.
For additional information on RoHS 2 Directive click here.